It's Thanksgiving week here in the US, and the perfect time to remember the things I'm thankful for. It's been a difficult year for me, one filled with quite a bit of illness but also many, many highs like the release of Teach Me. Here's my list of the top ten things I'm most thankful for this year: 1. My family.
2. Being healthier than I've been all year.
3. Being a published author and realizing one of my life's biggest dreams.
4. Becoming a self-published author -- one of the hardest parts of this journey, but one that has taught me so much, not only about publishing and how to create a great book, but also about myself as a human being and how strong and determined I truly am.
5. My husband's support. Many authors go this journey alone or, worse, with active discouragement from their spouses. I'm blessed with a spouse who encourages me the whole way.
6. My creativity. This year I developed a severe soy allergy that left me with months of brain fog and inability to write. I no longer take for granted the ability to tell stories, to get into my characters and actually feel the joy of writing.
7. My readers! I've had the privilege of meeting and getting to know some truly lovely readers this year. I can't tell you how exciting and humbling this experience has been!
8. Rory Olsen, my editor and all-around encourager. Rory has been a godsend and a true blessing on this journey. I'm so thankful she was the one who read Dirty Little Secret over a year ago!
9. Being outdoors. There were periods of this year where being outside wasn't an option for me. Taking a walk is one of life's greatest joys, and I'm thankful that ability has been restored to me.
10. Books! 'Nough said. :)
I hope you all enjoy this week with family and friends, whether it's Thanksgiving holiday where you live or not. What are you thankful for?